A dairy Herdman’s task includes leading cows safely where they need to go. This includes leading cows to and from the milking parlor in a professional and efficient manner. A Herdsman must understand and adhere to the proper protocols for milking as set by Vanderhyde Dairy, Inc.
- Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Protect and promote each animal’s well-being under your care.
- Ensure proper sanitation and waste management is maintained in the pens.
- Keep animals dry and clean of manure and provide them comfortable, healthy surroundings.
- Keep the milking herd separated from the treated herd, and recognize the difference between them.
- Ensure the proper cows arrive at the milking parlor at the appointed time, and depart just as fast.
- Note cows that may have mastitis or other problems. Inform the manager for possible treatment. (No treatment will be done without permission of the manager.)
- Ensure the overall fitness and wellness of each animal in your care.
Additional Herdsman related activities:
- Help to get cattle in the barn, if necessary.
- Maintain treatment records and identify treated cows with appropriate markers, such as leg bands, etc.
- Assist in ordering supplies by making a list and bringing to the supervisor’s attention any items in short supply.
- If unable to be present at scheduled working hours, the manager must be given sufficient notice to arrange for a substitute Herdsman.
- Clip udders, freeze brand and perform other procedures that promote accurate identification and animal well-being.
- In case of an emergency, an employee may be called to work on a vacation or regularly scheduled day off.
Additional employee responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following responsibilities:
• Care of springers and cows at calving
• Feeding and care of calves
• Feeding, cleaning and care of milking herd
• Maintenance of free-stalls
• Heat detection, A.I.
• Record keeping
• Cleaning and maintenance of office building
• Maintenance of grounds, pasture, fences
• Maintenance of vacuum pumps